Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dear NBA, I Love You, But I call Shenanigans!


I'm calling shenanigans on the NBA and the folks who create the games schedule before the season.  I'm not saying it's a conspiracy.  I just think that things were made simple for a certain team. 

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh all sat out of Monday's practice to heal sore knees and ankles.  FYI: That's $300 Million Dollars sitting on the bench.

It's a long season.  Teams all over the NBA do it.  Players need to stay healthy.  Teams are very aware that the rest could mean losing a game or 2.  What surprises me is that the Heat right now will only play 2 games in a 11-day span.  2 games in a 11-day span?!  What the heck is that all about! All-Star Weekend is a shorter break than that!

I went through a handful of schedules trying to find another team with a similar break.  I couldn't find any (I did give up after looking at 3 or 4 schedules).  Maybe their is another team with a break like this.  I really don't know.

Doesn't this seem unfair to you?  If Miami get to rest and only play 2 games in a 11-day span, shouldn't all teams have a break like this?  Why can't schedules be similar all around.  I know that travel days are a factor but should they all have similar time off?

Let's use my Chicago Bulls as an example.  The Bulls lead the league in back to back games with 23.  That means they will play 46 games (over half the season) in 23 set of 2.  They also play 3 sets of 4 games in 5 nights (mostly on the road because of the Circus and Disney on Ice) and they also get to play  5 games in 7 nights. That's 63 total games with a combined 5 days of rest...I think.  I suck at math, but you get my point.

Where is their time to rest?  Chicago can use it.  Rose is getting beat up every time he drives to the basket, Boozer has a sprained ankle, and with Noah still out the team have been playing some long minutes.  Where is their 2 games in a 11-day span?

No comments:

Post a Comment